May 13, 2013

Toblerone Scones

It's Monday.  It's MMAZ time.





When Heather announced that dark chocolate was the ingredient this week I wept for joy was really excited.  Then I went to the grocery store and spotted a dark chocolate Toblerone and it spoke to me.



Toblerones and I go way, way back.  My (first) senior year (whoops) of college, I traveled to Scandinavia with the choir I was a member of (nerd alert).



Joel and I in dark blue- we were just babies back then!




3 things about Scandinavia!

1.  It's really expensive there.  Really.  Really.  Expensive.
2. It's also absolutely gorgeous.
3. Their candy situation is out of hand in the greatest way possible.

It was there that I first tried the Toblerone and it will always have a special place in my heart for being the only food I could afford it's flawless chocolate and crunchy almonds pieces.


I've been wanting to try and make scones forrreevvverrrr (Sandlot style) but was always nervous because hello!  They seem pretty complicated.  Until I realized- they're just breakfast biscuits.  I can make biscuits!  I love sweets!  I can do this!




And then I did.


Toblerone Scones
Makes 12 scones

3 c + 2 Tbs flour
1/3 c sugar + more for sprinkling
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 heaping tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
13 Tbs butter (1 stick + 5 Tbs), VERY cold (I put mine in the freezer)
1 c buttermilk
1 delicious Toblerone candy bar (3.5 oz size, about 3/4 c chopped)
1/2 c sliced almonds
2 Tbs butter, melted

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, using the large slots of a cheese grater, grate the butter. (you could also do the regular old "cutting in" of the butter, but holy moly, grating butter is kind of fun, and made the process a lot easier).

Dump your grated butter into the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add in buttermilk and mix until JUST combined.  You don't want rock hard scones!  Don't overmix it!

Fold in the chopped up Toblerone and almonds carefully.

Divide the batter into two.  Take each half and shape into a small circle, about 7-ish inches. (I found working this part on a floured surface made it very easy).  Cut each circle into 6 wedges using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.

Brush each wedge with a little melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Place in oven heated to 425 for about 13 minutes.

Almond Honey Glaze
glazes 12 Toblerone Scones

1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/8 tsp almond extract
2-3 Tbs milk

Mix honey, vanilla bean paste, and almond extract together.

Stir in powdered sugar and 1 Tbs milk.  Add more milk as needed until you reach a glaze consistency.

After the scones have cooled for 15-20 minutes, drizzle with glaze.


Make sure you have friends to share with or else you'll end up eating a whole stick and a half of butter.  Not that I would know....


Go check out all the other AMAZING recipes from this week.  You won't want to miss it.  I mean, come on guys, it's DARK CHOCOLATE WEEK!!





9 comments:

  1. Oooh - love the concept here, I remember toblerone from when I lived in Germany for the summer in college. Great idea to mix in a candy to a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Really I just liked that Toblerone and scone rhymed ;)

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should have some if these lying around Friday night....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should have some if these lying around Friday night....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toblerone scones! sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so good! Don't mean to toot my own horn, but man, with that much butter you really can't go wrong.

      Delete
  5. Oh I LOVE Toblerone! It's one of my favourite chocolate bars. Even the hard-to-bite-off triangle-shaped pieces don't stop me from shovelling a 200g stick of the Tobes down in one sitting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

      Delete